In 1937, Jim Kanemoto and his brother George purchased a farm and began growing produce to ship and to stock their vegetable market. During the 1950s Jim patented an irrigation dam and established Kan Manufacturing. He later founded Longmont Bowling Lanes. When IBM arrived in the Longmont area, Jim responded to the population influx by annexing 200 acres of land to the city for Southmoor Park, ultimately the site of 700 homes.
Moving from farmer to developer, Jim donated property for the Burlington School, the school district administration building, the Buddhist Temple, Kanemoto Park, and the St. Vrain River Greenway. The Kanemoto family built the five-story Tower of Compassion pagoda in Kanemoto Park as a gift of appreciation to the citizens of Longmont.